DOS African-American Historical and Cultural Grant Funded $690,000
City funded $190,000
Originally built in 1967 as a community center and later used as a gymnasium complex by Robert H Jenkins, Jr Middle School for approximately 30 years, the City has regained ownership and is in the process of reinstating the facility to its original purpose of a community center. Named after Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, Robert H. Jenkins, Jr, one of 3,493 overall recipients and one of only 90 African Americans to hold this highest honor. Prior to his military service, Mr. Jenkins attended Central Academy, the first accredited African American High School (1924), blocks away from this building. The intention for this center to support and foster education within the community. This is anticipated to be a 24 month project. This project is currently in the planning and design stage.