Palatka FL Homepage

Vacant, Foreclosed, Blighted, Unsecured or Abandoned Structure Information 

If you are an owner of a vacant, foreclosed, blighted, unsecured, or abandoned structure in the City of Palatka, you, according to City Code, have the responsibility to register and maintain your property.   

If you have questions, please contact the City of Palatka Code Enforcement Department at or (386) 329-0100 ext. 331.

Registration Forms

Vacant Property Registration formForeclosed, Blighted, Unsecured or Abandoned Structure Registration form

Click here for more information on the responsibilities of owners of vacant  property in Palatka

In addition to registering your property, City ordinances say you are responsible for the following rules and regulations that apply to your foreclosed, blighted, unsecured, or abandoned structures in the City. 

Failure to comply may result in code enforcement action,  click here for more information 

Securing the Structure:

Blighted, unsecured, or abandoned structures must ensure that all entrances and openings, including windows and doorways, are properly secured using approved materials that fully seal all openings, safeguarding the interior from natural elements like wind and rain.

Entrances and windows above ground level must be considered secure if they are locked and not accessible for entry. Windows should have intact glass or protective shutters to prevent entry.

In cases where a code enforcement officer identifies a violation of this requirement, they can issue a Notice of Violation (NOV), mandating the structure's repair within a specified timeframe.

Metallic coverings used for securement must be made of 14-gauge rust-proof steel sheet metal, allowing ventilation and equipped with an exterior finish facilitating graffiti removal. They should also be designed to prevent removal from the outside using prying tools, with threaded rods or cables attached internally to a steel cross-brace spanning the opening.

Removal of Unauthorized Items:

Owners of vacant, blighted, unsecured, or abandoned structures must promptly remove unauthorized signs, posters, and graffiti from the exterior unless exempted by this article or the city's zoning ordinance.

Pest Control:

It is the responsibility of every owner of such properties to maintain the premises free from rodents, insects, vermin, and other wild animals.

Roof Drainage:

You must have adequate rainwater drainage from the structure's roof.

Exterior Appearance:

All materials used for securing blighted, unsecured, or abandoned structures should be painted in a professional manner, matching the color of the structure's other exterior walls.

Posting Contact Information:

When a property becomes vacant and/or abandoned, the owner must display the name and contact details of a local property manager available 24/7.

This notice should be positioned near the main entrance of the structure and contain language similar to: "This property is managed by (name of local property manager). To report problems or concerns, call (telephone number of local property manager)."

  1. Palatka FL Homepage

Contact Us

  1. City of Palatka
    201 N 2nd Street
    Palatka, FL 32177
    Phone: 386-329-0100
    Fax: 386-329-0106
  1. Notices:

    Public Records Custodian Information per Chapter 119, Florida Statutes, the office of the City Clerk serves as the custodian of public records for the City of Palatka, where official records are routinely generated, transmitted, received, and maintained. The following information provides details about the location and contact information for record requests:  Address: 201 N. 2nd Street, Palatka, FL 32177 Phone: (386)329-0100 Email the City Attorney at . For inquiries related to Police Department Records, please contact: Palatka Police Department, 110 N. 11th Street, Palatka, FL 32177 (386)  329-0115  or

    Florida Public Records - Email Address Disclosure. Please be aware that, Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.  If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.  Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

    City of Palatka Fair Housing Advocate. The City of Palatka is committed to fair housing practices. If you believe you have experienced discrimination, you have the option to file a housing discrimination complaint using the following contact information: Toll-Free: (800) 669-9777 TTY: (800) 927-9275 Local Contact: City Manager - (386) 329-0100

    City of Palatka Equal Employment Opportunity Advocate. The City of Palatka promotes equal employment opportunities and discourages discrimination. If you have questions or concerns about equal employment opportunities or suspect discrimination, please reach out to the City's Human Resource Department at Phone:(386) 329-0100

    City of Palatka Section 504/ADA Compliance Advocate

    The City of Palatka is committed to compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you believe you have encountered discrimination in this regard, please contact the City's Human Resource Department by email Phone: (386) 329-0100

Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow